On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Jim R <rizzo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> All
>
> Has anyone considered a boost regulator? There are several companies making
> them. I even saw an ad in QST for one made by MFJ.
> It will maintain 13+ volts even with the input down to 10. to 11v

I tend to view those as band-aids for poor engineering design on the
radios themselves. It isn't difficult to build a radio that nominally
runs off of 13VDC but will behave properly down to 11VDC, thus
obviating the need for such a boost regulator. Seems that the F3K and
F5K will work properly at reduced voltage levels. OK, I give up a dB
or two. I can live with that.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL