We all owe John our eternal gratitude for finding serious bugs in the ALC system that I have fixed (ending overshoot and some internal ghosts/IMD forever). He put some serious test equipment on the job (that I did not have at my disposal) and within literally a few hours of studying his documentation and looking at the code, the problem was fixed. Much to my chagrin, his first email on the subject wound up in one of the cascaded bit buckets (spam filters) that protect me from the world. Gerald then showed me the document while I was in the middle of doing the first round of the wideband IQ work (also available in the test branch) and it just slipped my mind until a month ago. In an attempt to eek out the last measure of good sounding high performance TX, John suggested this new ordering and did his own version of the reorder. It does indeed sound great. It his MEASURABLE lower in band IMD (the transmit filters are so steep it had to be in band from the DSP).

This is the test branch, svn 3122 and higher.

It has new ALC,  wideband image reject,  and much more.

WARNING WARNING WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

The image reject in the new code requires you to recalibrate your radio and store values in the EEPROM just like now. There is no easy mapping between old and new so the old goes away and the new replaces it. Once you do this, you will be unable to get good image rejection upon returning to the trunk or 1.18.0 Release without recalibration again. This can be a really tedious process. The new algorithm is blistering fast but to go back, you have to do the "old stuff". The wideband image reject then dynamically tunes to signals on the band from this starting point. If things go well, this will be in the new release, and it appears to be a complete winner so far.

So if you do not understand what I am talking about in this just finished pseudo-English paragraph, DO NOT USE THE TEST BRANCH. We really cannot be bugging Dudley, et. al. with support issues on this test code. They do not have sufficient hours in the day.

Bob
N4HY

john_eck...@agilent.com wrote:
As of svn 3122 the phone tx performance of PowerSDR is greatly improved (IMHO).
 The tx alc is working like a champ.
You can drive your linear harder without it tripping.  The compressor (DX
Button) and compander (CPDR) sound great.

To set up the audio, set the TX Meter to 'ALC Comp' and adjust the mic gain
until you get 2 to 3 db of alc compression
on voice peaks.  Then you can run 3 to 5 db of 'DX' for full sounding high
quality rag chew audio. Or run it all the way to
10 to bust through the pile ups.

Let us know what you think.

73,

John
k2ox

(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio Member: ARRL, AMSAT, AMSAT-DL, TAPR, Packrats,
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"You don't need to see the whole staircase, just
take the first step.", MLK.
Twitter:rwmcgwier
Active: Facebook,Myspace,LinkedIn