From: Tim Ellison [mailto:telli...@itsco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:58 AM
To: Jim Manner; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: RE: [Flexradio] Vista 64-bit?

Jim,

Here is the "skinny" on your basic question.

1.) PowerSDR will run on any Vista x64 desktop PCs with any of the FLEX SDRs
without any problems. Testing on Win7 RC has been very successful if you
change the Win7 1394.sys driver back to the legacy driver (not a FlexRadio
component).

2.) Depending on the "junk" loaded on your PC (if purchased from a
manufacturer, like Dell), those "productivity" programs can suck the
performance out of a PC in a heart beat. Windows Update can do the same
depending on the new add-ons they try to shove on you.  Therefore you may
have to do some house cleaning to get the system working optimally, but if
the processor is fast enough and the PC architecture is not I/O constricted,
you should not have a problem and only superficial optimization is required.

3.) There really isn't a requirement for a dedicated machine, but there are
advantages in doing so.  I routinely use my PC to do my work from home
activities and have the radio running all the time.  I have no problems
doing that except occasionally MS Outlook starts hosing up the audio stream
with excessive long duration DPCs and a reboot of the PC usually fixes that.

4.) There are two classes of third-party add-ons; ones needed for
interfacing PowerSDR to other programs and programs that interact with
PowerSDR.  Many of these use kernel mode drivers and they have to be 64-bit
and digitally signed.  If there is not a 64-bit driver, you are out of luck.
If the driver is not signed, there are ways of starting Vista x64 that
ignore the driver signing requirement.  They are a hassle to use, but it
makes them fully operational.  Other programs used with PowerSDR just do not
work under Vista and Win7 (32 and/or 64-bit) and in those cases you are just
out of luck until the developer decides to make the required changes.  It is
the nature of the beast when Microsoft changes the OS architecture.  Of the
programs needed for interfacing PowerSDR to other programs (VAC & virtual
com port software), those are usable on 64-bit operating systems.  I do not
have a list of other programs that do not work with Vista/Win7, but the ones
I have used don't seem to have a problem running as 32-bit apps on a 64-bit
OS.  I know there is an issue with DDUtil that is being looked into.

5.) The new "Pretty Betty" version of PowerSDR uses an updated IDE that is
better positioned to operate on 32 and 64-bit operating systems.  Once
released, PowerSDR should run more efficiently on 32 and 64-bit versions of
Vista and Win7.

6.) I will probably transition all of my operating activities to Win7 once a
few of the third-party program issues are worked out.

-Tim