Harold,

I think you're on the right track.  It's probably something going on
with the Firewire link.  That's a high-speed digital link so it's pretty
sensitive to disruptions.  If the software/hardware drivers, on either
end of the wire, aren't sophisticated enough to recover gracefully from
a problem, lockups are a common result.  (I used to do data
communications hardware/software for a living)

If you've connected the radio and computer with a good short ground
wire/braid, the problem may not be RF.

I have a Flex-3000 running with just 100 watts.  But I have observed the
PSDR program lockup with the same symptoms - hit stop/start and
everything's fine again.

Then I noticed it was happening almost every time the compressor of the
little refrigerator in my shack clicked on, keeping the beer and soda
cold.

Apparently the power spike of the sudden load was triggering the lockup.
No RF involved.  Moving the refrigerator to a separate circuit solved
the problem.

I bet your amp draws a bit of power....worth checking if that's the
problem.

If you can, hook up everything with a dummy load that the amp can
handle, and retry the experiments.  Or try plugging things into separate
AC circuits to see if that helps.

Good luck, 73,
/Jack K3FIV