Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:12:07 -0700
From: Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6...@lloyd.com>
Subject: [Flexradio] Flex 5000 orientation
To: FlexRadio reflector <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>

It has been awhile and there seem to be a number of new Flex 5000
owners on here. I thought I would throw out some of my logic for
orienting the F5K in the shack. The F5K has six approximately-equal
sides but only two hold much interest. One has three things: the mic
connector, the headphone connector, and the Blue Light Of Death
(otherwise known as the power switch/indicator). The opposite side has
about thirty interesting and useful things to play with. In my shack
the latter side is facing forward. It makes connecting cables and
making configuration changes a piece of cake.

One other advantage of this orientation is that the Blue Light Of
Death illuminates the wall giving a very pleasing, high-tech, back-lit
effect. I enjoy look of awe on the faces of friends who visit my
semi-darkened shack and see all the components suffused in a blue
glow. This effect can be heightened by having your oscilloscope
displaying a rotating lissajous pattern and a large, floor-standing,
mainframe tape drive rapidly switching between fast-forward and
rewind. (Hmm -- I am thinking that we need a Flex-Wire-to-Tape-Drive
interface so that PowerSDR can make the tape drive do cool things in
response to control and signal changes on the radio. Think of it as a
kinetic visualizer.)

DISCLAIMER: for those of you who are humor-impaired, this message is
intended to offer a practical suggestion couched in [what I probably
erroneously think are] humorous terms. Seriously, I think that the
Flex 5000 is the best HF Ham transceiver that one can purchase so
please do not misconstrue my misplaced humor as implying that I don't
like the radio even if the power indicator is a bit on the bright
side.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL