Ernie.

I haven't played with the radio for over two weeks.  (I know, it's a real
problem, but)...

Just downloaded the newest release of 1.18.1 with no trouble.  Seems to work
great.  I listen to a lot of shortwave radio in the AM mode and found the
reception to be kind of noisy.  So I remembered reading something about this
problem, found your message here, and fired up my older 1.16 version.  THAT
version sounds quite a bit better on shortwave than 18 does.  Don't have a
signal generator over here, but the differences are obvious.

I'm confident the folks will fix the code that's causing this problem.

In the meantime, I'll either use v 1.16, or my Perseus SDR.  Both of those
work nicely!

Best regards;

-Tim
________________________

Hi all,

First let me say I am enjoying my Flex radio greatly.  It has been a true
pleasure to be a part of this exciting evolution of radio.

I would like some help understanding a phenomenon I am seeing that just
started with version 1.18.0.  After reading what Frank, WA3JBT posted about
the AGC on strong AM stations and doing some testing of my own, I am
noticing the same effect that he is; that is noise floor coming up in
between words.  I was able to duplicate this using a local BC station.  I
then did further testing with a signal source and the issue becomes very
apparent.   If I put an unmodulated carrier from my service monitor into the
radio at -70dBm, there is some noise, as would be expected.   As I increase
the signal level, at some point I would expect the receiver to quiet.  It
never does, in fact the white noise I hear continues to increase with the
signal level!   If I go back to version 1.16.0, the receiver fully quiets at
around -30dBm.  Version 1.16 is more pleasant to use on strong AM signals
than the latest code!  Can anyone else verify this please?    I have
submitted a bug report but haven't heard anything back yet so figured I
would post it here.

(FWIW, version 1.18.1 trunk behaves the same as 1.18.0)

Hardware Flex-1000/Edirol FA-66
PowerSDR version: various

Thanks
Ernie