At 03:43 7/2/2009, William MacCracken wrote:
I've switched from a laptop to a desktop system.  The switch left me with 2
sets of speakers on the desk.  I've now run a cable from the Flex powered
speaker out to the Line In on the computer- the aim is to have one set of
speaker on the desk.  It seems to work well but it is, at least, not the
recommended solution.  What are the problems with this setup?

I run a cable from the powered speaker output to the computer sound card also, Bill. Works for me, and also gives me the advantage of using the sound card to decode RTTY from my second RX while also doing the same from RX1 from a different antenna, and with a different demod. Reduces busted calls and contest exchanges, hopefully. Until we get simultaneous "connectivity" of both receivers through VAC, I think this is the best setup for dual-rx RTTY guys, or anybody who might want to record RX2 audio.

My computer is a Dell Studio 540s with Realtek HD audio.  On the computer
side, the settings for Line In include choices for "Default Format"  from
16bit 44100Hz to 16bit 192000Hz.  One problem I see is the conversion from
analog back to digital but I can't tell the difference, at least with the
strong signals I tested today.  The radio is a Flex 5000a.

I think this conversion "problem" is sort of like the "problem" you get by not using oxygen-free copper wires for your stereo speakers. Anybody here ever run into a _real_ conversion problem? I tend to think that if the signals can make it through thousands of miles of churning ionosphere OK, they are probably tough enough to survive my little cable and sound card.

Jerry W4UK