Although the F3K manual does cover most of PowerSDR as appropriate for the F5K, I'm afraid there are differences, some more significant than others. For example, there is no antenna form for the F3K and the mixer forms are different. Also the F3K has no second receiver, cannot sample at 192kb/s, etc., etc.

Whether or not the manuals can or cannot be split in hardware/software will depend much on how the new architecture pans out. Right now there is a very strong relationship between much of PowerSDR and the hardware it is running. The trade-off will depend on maintaining a high degree of readibility and accessibility versus splitting the manuals software/hardware.

73 de Joe - AB1DO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Ellison" <telli...@itsco.com> To: "Ray Andrews, K9DUR" <k9...@rnacs.com>; "'manualman'" <manual...@juno.com>
Cc: <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 20:36
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Operators Manual

While we are on the subject of manual confusion (as opposed to automatic confusion), there is a little something that might not be very intuitive to new users (and some of us OTs too).

Even though the FLEX-3000 Owner's Manual indicates it is for the FLEX-3000, it actually contains the most up to date information regarding PowerSDR since it is based on v1.18.0 of PowerSDR as opposed to v1.14.0 of PowerSDR that the FLEX-5000 Owner's Manual is based on. So those who have the FLEX-5000 (or SDR-1000 for that matter), if you want to reference the most up to date information regarding PowerSDR it is best to use the current FLEX-3000 Owner's manual. Makes sense, doesn't it? :-)

I hope that there will be separate documentation for the software and hardware parts of the SDR system with the upcoming new software architecture code named "Deep Impact".

-Tim