To run CW Skimmer in the I/Q mode on the primary 5000a receiver, you also need com0com. com0com is a free download.
VAC is not needed, even though VAC "connections" are referenced below.

Setup:

In PowerSDR  Setup, click: AUDIO, VAC,  OUTPUT TO VAC, OK

In Skimmer: VIEW, SETTINGS, RADIO, check Softrock-IF, set Pitch 600 and Audio IF 8400. Also Sampling Rate 96kHz ( I am using 96 kHz for PowerSDR AUDIO PRIMARY Sample Rate.) In CAT, configure rig1 for Kenwood. In Audio, use WDM and 01 Flexradio Audio and Left/Right - Q/I

Setup VCOM or com0com as recommended in the KB to connect PowerSDR CAT to Skimmer for freq control. Fine tune the Audio IF 8400 value for accurate clicktune, if needed.

I see 23 kHz of signals when set as above. Skimmer freq display follows PowerSDR and PowerSDR also follows clicktunes in Skimmer

Do not use PowerSDR SR - Skimmer can't cope.

I am using PowerSDR V1.18.0 from Flex site and CW Skimmer V 1.4 Later PowerSDR versions probably work, but I haven't verified this.

Jerry W4UK