I recently purchased a Flex 3000 radio and came over to the "dark side"
(depending on your perspective) of amateur radio after years of contest and
DX operation on Yaesu 1000-MP and FT-2000 "box" radios. Not to prolong this
discourse, but the reason for the change had a lot to do with my move of QTH
from Connecticut and a 40 acre antenna field to Maryland and a rental house
on the Chesapeake Bay when I came into the US Air Force Medical Corps on
active duty in the late Fall of 2008.

I have been able to successfully get on the air with the Flex 3000, PowerSDR
and MixW using VAC. It was GREAT to make RTTY contacts after a year of being
off the air due to training, orientation, moving etc. to the new site. Now,
I would like to expand.

When I used my Yaesu radios, I would operate digital modes using MixW and
operate CW and Phone contests using Writelog. I would like to do the same
thing with my Flex "radio". I have researched the KB and other sites on the
Web but still do not have a firm idea on how to do this. I would love a
solution where I could easily move to MixW using SDR for digital work and
thence to Writelog using SDR for contesting on phone or CW. Maybe I am
asking for too much, but I hope someone out there might be able to help.

I attended a TAPR/ARRL digital conference in Hartford in 2007 just in the
middle of my internal debate about whether to enter the USAF or not. The
overwhelming highlight of that conference for me was that software defined
radio was the near and far future of amateur radio. So, I am eager to
proceed with my conversion and hope anyone out there can help me with the
transition!

73

Mike, N1MD