From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of John Ragle
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 10:23 AM
To: Jim; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] ...odd signals...

Jim...

    I live out in the countryside on a dead-end road (in the middle of a
corn field) with 12 houses on it. My panadapter screens on almost every
band are filled with spurious signals that go away when I remove the
antenna (or connect to a 50-ohm dummy load). I have tried turning off my
WiFi router (no relief), my wife's computers (no relief), disconnecting
my cable modem (no relief). Similar spurs show up on my non-digital 2
meter rig (IC-910) with all the household computers and the modem off,
and those also go away when I disconnect its antenna. The most common of
these spurs is a cluster of 3 narrow signals spaced by 1 or 2 kHz and
occurring every 90-95 kHz or so. They do not appear to be a carrier and
sidebands. Some of the spurs wander slowly across the spectrum at a rate
of a few kHz an hour.

    My cable service and all my other services are /*underground*/ up to
the house. I have not tried shutting down the power to the house
(awkward), but conclude these are real signals emanating from the
neighborhood. The nearest above-ground power, phone, and cable lines are
at least 500 feet from the house. Many of my close neighbors run
computers of unknown vintage. My choice is either to hire out a "fox
hunter" or ignore the spurs. By now, the spurs are "old friends."

John Ragle -- W1ZI