At 08:44 AM 10/5/2009, Brian Lloyd wrote:
 your typical amateur will never have seen
a Flex 3000 or any other SDR before. He/she is probably stepping up
from something like an Icom IC-718 or it will be his/her first radio.

I beg your pardon.... My first radio was an IC-718 and in four years I worked 225 countries. My second radio was an F3K, and I did have some troubles with it, but most were of my own making. I got lots of help from the list. I learned quite a few things, among them:

1. The weakest link in the F3K is the mic input. If you run SSB (or AM), and you don't use a mic with a shielded cable (or maybe even if you do), and you are close to your antenna, watch out for RFI. I solved mine with half a dozen well-placed ferrites. But an unbalanced mic input
on the front panel would be a great upgrade.

2.   If you use an amp, you can have LOTS of RFI.   See point 1.
3. If you have a solid-state amp it is very sensitive to reflected power, so make sure your
antenna has a very low SWR.
4. RFI can strike anywhere, all interconnections should have a ferrite at each end.
5.  Good RFI grounding can help a lot.

I knew a week in I would love the F3K once I got it working well. And now it is working pretty well, the only remaining problem is an SWR that is a little high on 40m. I am going to work with
the antenna manufacturer on that.   I now have five new countries on my F3K.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html