The short answer is yes its worth the 500 bux

The SDR-1000 while an excellent radio is first generation.  As such it was the
platform the designers learned on.  It is missing much of the present day
functionality and fine tuning that the F3K possesses.  It also takes
considerable time to set up correctly, and that set up needs to be repeated at
various times as software development progresses.  I own all three radios the
F5K F3K and SDR-1000 and I would never trade my F3K away before I traded my
SDR-1000

Unless you are satisfied with the limitations of a 5 watt radio I would not
consider a F-1500 for your needs.  The RX will be awesome I'm sure but the TX
at least for my operating style would be terribly limiting.  The 13dB
difference between 5 watts and 100 watts to the operator on the other end of a
QSO is not trivial.

For your situation I expect the F3K is about the perfect bang for the buck radio

73  W9OY