Don,

There are a lot of differences between the FLEX-3000 and the SDR-1000.  The
SDR-1000 was a ground breaking radio, but it has its warts.  These were
eliminated with the FLEX family of SDRs

1.) With the recent changes in the FLEX-3000 preamp, the FLEX-3000 has better
IP2 and IMD DR3 performance numbers than the SDR-1000 with any of the approved
sound cards.

2.) The FLEX-3000 utilizes an on-board ADC and DAC provide the A/D and D/A
conversions, therefore you do not have to use an external sound card to provide
this function.  An external sound card has to connect to the SDR-1000 via audio
cables that have to be engineered to minimize RFI ingress, eliminate ground
loops and can be difficult to manage since moving the radio a little bit can
significantly effect the performance of the radio.

3.) The SDR-1000 has known frequency stability issues (long warm up times and
drift) and MUST be manually recalibrated every time a new database is used.
This requires a signal generator of known frequency and strength along with a
dummy load.  To get accurate RX image rejection calibrations, you need a RF
signal source for all bands you will be operating on.  The FLEX-3000 has BITE
(built in test equipment) and stores its calibration info in its internal
EEPROM.  Calibration of the FLEX-3000 is rarely needed and if it is, it can be
done easily without any additional test equipment for all but one test (PA
bridge cal).

4.) The SDR-1000 is not really usable on 6m.  Less than 1 watt output and the
RX is deaf as a post.  The FLEX-3000 is very good on 6m

5.) DDS spurs.  The SDR-1000 is riddled with them making the upper bands (12 &
10m) almost unusable.  The FLEX-3000 does not have this problem.  Also the
SDR-1000 is prone to DC-DC converter noise (aka "the traveling hump").

6.) It is a discontinued radio.  Don't expect the same level of support from
FRS with it as you will with in-production radios.

The FLEX-1500 is not a released radio.  It will have a lot of the same
characteristics of the FLEX-5000 and FLEX-3000, but it will not have the
performance levels of those radios.  Its performance levels will also be less
than the SDR-1000.  Being only a 5 watt radio, you will need a specialized amp
that will take a 5 watt input to generate 300 watts or use two amps.  The lower
sampling rate of 48 KHz will result in a narrow visual bandwidth on the
panadapter as compared to the FLEX-5000 and FLEX-3000.

And lastly, the FLEX family of radios represents the present and future of
FlexRadio systems' products.  The SDR-1000 is a first generation product and
has technical limitations that may preclude it from moving forward with the
FLEX family of SDRs.

So you question boils down to is it better to spend a little extra $$ for a
FLEX-3000 as opposed to the SDR-1000.  I would say it is a no brainer to go
with the FLEX-3000.  It is much better engineered than the SDR-1000, more
convenient (less hassle) and easier to use too.

-Tim