At 13:05 10/21/2009, Dan Edward wrote:
hi dave

my grounding is 'decent'; short heavy leads everywhere, even to the ground rods themselves. two ground busses across the back edge of my desk and shelf. and on everything, f3k, pc, other rig, monitor, final. no ant tuner; i'm a big believer in
matching at the feedpoint.

That was not my main problem, my main problem was RF coming in the mic input line.

see below

--- On Wed, 10/21/09, Dave Gomberg <da...@wcf.com> wrote:

From: Dave Gomberg <da...@wcf.com>
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] cw ....
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 7:43 PM

At 12:01 10/21/2009, dan edwards wrote:
>when i first key up on cw, the signal sounds 'raspy', like there is
>something loose
>or arcing. after sending a bit, seems to clear up..i can hear it in
>my speakers and
>on a second receiver. nasty sounding...

Your description of the sound resembles what I heard when I had a
serious RFI problem.
Does the degree of rasping vary with the output power (lower with
less power)?

**************
doesnt seem to. tried various levels, still there. even into a dummy load...
it does go away after i've been transmitting a bit.....
*************

   Are
you using an amplifier?

***********
not today, testing at lunchtime on 160; barefoot. but at night, if a new one shows
up, i fire up  the homebrew 3-1000a...

   Is your rig near the antenna???
not particularly, about 90' away, other side of the house. series fed marconi-T over 25 fifty foot radials; 40' tall, 120' long. matched at feedpoint with series
and shunt L...the horiz wire does not cross the shack...

73, w5xz, dan

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html