Darn.  I was hoping for a silver bullet :-)

Have you tried Fldigi?

-Tim
---
W4TME
FlexRadio Systems - Info Management Admin.
"Tune in Excitement"

On 10/29/2009 1:35 PM, John Ragle wrote:
Many thanks to the several people who have suggested that my problem
w/digital mode is that I might be using the trial version of VAC.

This is a brilliant suggestion, but unfortunately incorrect. I have a
licensed, paid, copy of VAC on a CD provided by them, and it is the one
that I am using. It works fine on VISTA (please READ my post!) but not
on WIN7 -- same machine, same copy, etc.

I am mystified but thankful for the attempted help received so far, even
the short-tempered ones. I just wish people would READ before shooting
from the hip.

John Ragle -- W1ZI