Hey, I’ve had a day to think about things…

FLEX is making a giant mistake making the 60 watt the standard!

Also it is way NOT competitively priced – not even close.

I don’t know anybody that wants a 60 watt factory installed VHF-UHF version!
Maybe that should be a "high poweroptional upgrade".
Also the very low power version is ridiculous – would take two monolithic
amplifiers to get it up to customary power levels.

Specifically:
Serious VHF & UHF folks want about 25-30 watts to drive our KW linear
amplifiers.
Other folks want 10  to 25 watts to drive their Mirage or TE “brick” amplifiers.

Also, don’t suggest simply turning down the output power.  It makes no sense to
put a high power 3 db  pad on the output of the FLEX.  Also, simply “turning
down the power output” is not a good solution for four reasons:
1. It is an immediate waste of hundreds of dollars
2. It is an ongoing waste of power and doubles the generated heat
3. If the power output gets miss-adjusted you could very possibly burn out
$1000 worth of MOSFET transistors in the outboard amp ( or possibly damage the
tube for you tube guys ).
4. 60 watt version requires returning the unit to the factory – I’m a skilled
tech and am prepared to install the 30 or 60 watt version at home.  I don’t
want to give up my transceiver for a few weeks or a month while waiting for my
turn for bench time at the FLEX shop.

I’ve been waiting since May for the 30 watt VHF-UHF module to become available.
 I’m very disappointed that things have changed so much.  I’d like to have the
VHF-UHF set up and ready for the January ARRL VHF-UHF contest.  With shipping
and turn-around time, that probably won’t be possible.

Sorry if I come off “Hot” but this is a big big disappointment.

Again, please bring these concerns to the FLEX strategic planners ASAP!
Maybe FLEX will rethink this offering.

73

Lloyd  N9LB