I am trying to figure out how much the computer power impacts the sample rate, buffer sizes, latency, filter properties.

I read the stuff in the owners manual, but it does not really go into the computer speed much.

I am currently running 1.18.3 on a vista laptop, dual 1.6 GHz cpu, and it runs great at 192 KHz with the buffers set high.

I ordered a flex ready computer from Neal, and I am wondering if I will be able to lower the buffers and get the same performance.

What if you had some monster cpu, could you run low buffers and a high sample rate, and have good filters and low latency?

One would think, with a really fast cpu, it could process the data without having to stuff it into buffers, no?

What if you had a supercomputer that was waiting for a long time for the next bit of data from the flex radio, would you still need buffers?

Or is it a firewire speed limit thing?

Brett