Frank,

The I7 is quite a processor, but the symptoms that you laid out, says that you do not have enough resources to PowerSDR or the FireWire card to keep from getting drop outs. What is the Safe Mode that you are running and are you keeping the buffer in the FW driver and in the Audio tab of Setup the same? Anytime that you are having drop outs in the audio (that's the FireWire thread on RX being lost) and you can either raise the buffer size or lower the sample rate and it improves, it's a lack of resources. Now with the I7, unless you are running alot of other programs, something is wrong in the installation, try the DPC checker from the link in Germany.
http://www.thesycon.de

There is also a small pdf there that you should read about DPCs.. Another thought, where did your installation of XP come from? Was it a clean install of XP and did you use the chipset drivers when you built it? Or was it a transplant from another computer? If it was a transplant, this might be your issue, the HAL for a single or dual core will be different from the I7 with 4 Hyper threaded processors.

If the install was a clean install, then run the Task manager, along with the DPC checker to see how the resources are being used. I know of several I7 installations, some running XP and some Win7, and PowerSDR screams on those systems, so there has got to be something terribly wrong.
Just in my humble opinion .  :-)

73,
Dudley

WA5QPZ

Frank Karnauskas N1UW wrote:
I REALLY need help, guys.

Previous request for help stated:

" I get repeating drop outs while transmitting on CW, both on the sidetone
and on the transmitted signal itself.

The drop outs are related to the buffer size and transfer speed as follows:

@ 2048 Buffer:
192K - 1 second interval (between drop outs) 096K - 2 second interval 048K -
4 second interval

@ 1024 Buffer:
192K - 0.5 second interval (between drop outs) 096K - 1 second interval 048K
- 2 second interval

This occurs with both an external key (iambic and straight) and the CWX
internal keyer.

There were a couple of USB controllers that shared the same IRQ  as the
onboard 1394 port (TI Chipset) but I disabled those with no benefit.

Current driver and SDR on the 5K, Windows XP Pro, dedicated box with i7
processor with 3GB of memory."

I hooked the 5K up to the laptop again with the Express Slot Firewire card
and the problem goes away. Problem should be with the onboard 1394
controller, right?

I bought a IOFlex 1394 PCI controller with the TI Chipset popped it in,
disabled the onboard 1394 controller.

Problem still there.  Getting frustrated by following all the published
recommendations and still can't get this thing to run right since I got it
in May.

Frank N1UW