Paul

You have a lot of the same question I had while I was setting my PC up before my I got my 5000a

I am using Win 7 64 and have an Onboard TI Chipset that works fine for both XP and Win 7.

I also purchased a 1X PCIe card that's on the "known to work" list in the knowledge base it has 2 800 and 1 400Mhz ports with a VIA chipset, It also works fine on XP and Win 7 64 .

If I were you, I would probably just try the onboard controller -- if it doesn't work, get another.. The symptoms of Firewire interface problems are typically fairly obvious and well described in the knowledge base.. You'll know quickly if you have a problem.

Dave

Paul Mullins wrote:
Ok maybe I miss understand, I though the soundcard for listening or what ever it needs it for had to be on the compatibly listing, cool can just use the onboard sound, sweet I am happy.

There seam to be a miss understanding on the operating system on my pc, currently I am running XP with no hurry to run win7 just yet, maybe after PowerSDR 2 is fully released.

I am really sorry about the silly or some people might say stupid questions I am asking, but the only silly question is the one not asked, this is in my books.

whilst I am still chasing a firewire 400 card, to me it looks like every card I find is a VIA chipset, is there any good news for these or are they just good for scraping of paint?

There are pci-e firewire cards with via this is the reason why I ask or do I need to keep looking for a TI chipset or will the cheapness VIA do?

cheers

Paul