Mouse Dropouts (not mouse droppings!) with N1MM

I'm setting up the N1MM Contest Logger with my new Flex-5000A
(windows XP home, loaded AMD quad core and latest Flex
firmware/PSDR) via K5VR's VSP port manager software.

Radio reads N1MM. The Flex follows keyboard up/down arrows
and bands I type into N1MM. I can send CW using N1MM.

N!MM reads the Flex frequency and tracks frequency on
its band map.

Problem is my mouse wheel drops out of tuning almost immediately
unless I have the Tune Step on 1 Hz, or sometimes 10Hz. I'm
tuning the frequency with a new cordless Logitech laser
free-spinning wheel mouse. A conventional Logitech
wired mouse has the same problem. Left-clicking the mouse
re-engages the tuning which almost immediately drops out again.

The Flex tunes properly with N1MM turned off. I'd been advised
to try turning on the SR (Spur Reduction), but that didn't
reduce drop outs.

Ideas?

Jeff K0OD