On Dec 11, 2009, at 6:03 PM, Larry Rappaport wrote:

Yes, but so what? I don't mean to be a smartass, it's a really genuine question. Amateur radio has been analog forever. Most important is the word "radio". Certainly the internet component is not radio, and there is digital radio which is a combination of both digital and analog techniques.
IRLP totally avoids the patent problem; and I can say, as one who has
investigated both, seems to come out far ahead.

I don't know what D-Star can do that IRLP can't. IRLP uses servers which have the ability to do all kinds of connections. IRLP puts the fanciest logic in the servers. D-Star puts it mostly in the radios themselves. I
don't see the advantage, but D-Star certainly costs a lot more!

As I recall IRLP uses a CVSD (continuously variable slope delta modulation) CODEC. CVSD is pretty archaic as CODECs go. It also doesn't support signaling over the RF portion of the link except for in-band DTMF. Not exactly 2010 technology (more like 1960).

I was looking at D-Star sometime back and it had some really glaring holes that made my eyes go wide and had me saying WTF? One really basic thing that was missing was a field in the header to allow one to identify the type of payload. You need that when you want to run different protocols above. Given that we want to send both voice and data over the same link it seems an obvious need. That is just so basic in any real networking protocol that I was shocked.

Amateur radio is no longer at the forefront of communications. If you want to see how this stuff is done for real just reach into your pocket and take our your mobile phone. There you have an I/Q transceiver that is transmitting voice and data over a single digital data link. It can carry several different types of payload at the same time.

Of course, I am working from memory and very likely making a mistake.

--

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com

PGP key ID:          EEBBCEB1BD0671C0
PGP key fingerprint: 3E8B 35BC F840 3288 AAB4  9E44 EEBB CEB1 BD06 71C0