Mike,

The following is a reprint from an email that Ray, K9DUR so kindly wrote to another user, so I beg his permission in advance to reprint this, but is a good explanation worth repeating.. The last part is in reference to his fine VoiceKeyer product that he has labored over for so long, but you can continue with the current way to you are transferring audio, so ignore the VAC references..
"

You need to install the virtual serial port program 1st.  Neither N1MM nor
VoiceKeyer will work with PowerSDR without it.  Create 2 serial port pairs.
One of the pairs must include a port between COM1 & COM8.  N1MM will only
work with serial ports COM1 through COM8.  In my case, the 2 pairs are
COM7/COM17 & COM8/COM18, but it is really arbitrary.  You just need to avoid
any hardware ports (e.g. - modem) that may be installed.  That is one neat
feature of K5FR's VSP Manager, it lists all of the hardware ports in
addition to any virtual ports you create.

You then need to setup PowerSDR for CAT & PTT control.
Click on "Setup" on the menu bar & select the "CAT Control" tab.  Make
certain that the "Enable CAT" & "Enable PTT" boxes are NOT checked.
Under CAT Control, select the serial port that is paired with the port
numbered between COM1 & COM8.  In my case, I use COM18.  You may now check
the "Enable CAT" box.
Under PTT Control, select one of the serial ports in the other pair.  In my
case, I use COM17.  Check the "RTS" check box.  You may now check the
"Enable PTT" box.

Now select the "DSP" tab & select the "Keyer" tab.  Under "Connections", set
"Secondary" to "CAT", set "PTT Line" to "RTS", & set "Key Line" to "DTR".

Next, I would install N1MM & get it talking to PowerSDR.  In my case, I have
N1MM set to use COM8 (paired with COM18) for control of the rig.  Click on
"Config" on the menu bar & select "Configure Ports, Telnet Address, Other".
Click the "Hardware" tab and select "Kenwood" for the port you wish to use
for CAT control (In my case COM8).  Also, check the "CW/Other" box & click
on "Set".  The baud rate, parity, data bits, & stop bits settings are not
all that important, but mine are set to 38400, N, 8, 2.In the "DTR" drop down
box select "CW" and set the "RTS" dropdown to "PTT".  Finally, I have the
"PTT Delay" value set to 10ms.  The rest of the values can be left at their
default values.  Click "OK" twice to close the configuration windows.

The next step would be to install & set up VAC.

Start the VAC Control Panel program.  In the "Driver parameters" box, set
the number of cables to "2" & click on "Restart".  In the list of cables in
the lower portion of the window, click on one of the cables to highlight it..
In the cable parameters box, set the following values:
SR = 11025 .. 96000
BPS = 8 .. 32
NC = 1 .. 2
Max inst = 20
Ms per int = 7
Stream fmt = Cable Format

Under "Connected Line Sources", only the "Line" box should be checked.
Leave "Clock corr %" set at 100.00.

Repeat for the other cable in the list & close the Control Panel program.

In PowerSDR, click on "Setup" & select the "Audio" tab & select the "VAC"
tab.  Set the following values:

Check the "Enable VAC" box.
Driver = MME
Input = Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) Output = Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)
Buffer Size = 512
Sample Rater = 48000
Uncheck the "Stereo" box.
Uncheck the "Enable for Digital modes. Disable for all others" box
Check the "Allow PTT to override/bypass VAC for Phone" box.
RX Gain = 0
TX Gain = 0
Uncheck the "Manual" box.
Uncheck the "Output to VAC" box.

Now you are ready to install & set up VoiceKeyer.

Click on "File" on the menu bar & select "Setup Hardware". The sound card
used to send messages to the radio should be set to "Line 1 (Virtual Audio
Cable)".  You can set the sound card used to monitor messages to your PC's
speakers if you wish.  Under "PTT Control", select the serial port that is
paired with the PTT Control serial port selected in PowerSDR.  In my case, I
use COM7 (paired with COM17).  Check the "RTS" box.  Click on "Save
Changes".

Before you can use VoiceKeyer, you have to have some .wav files of the
messages you wish to send.  Refer to the VoiceKeyer User's Manual for an
example of how I create my .wav files.

73, Ray, K9DUR
http://k9dur.info
"

Hopefully this helps, particularly if you are not already familiar with N1MM.

And thanks Ray! :-)
73,

Dudley

WA5QPZ

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hi,

Is anyone out there using the N1MM logger with PowerSDR?  I'd like to give
it a try but can't find much on it.

What I can find indicates that some kind of "virtual serial port" setup is
needed to implement rig control and references something called vCOM.  Are
people still using this?  Is there any problem with it -- I find references
to system freezes, etc.  After running into some broken links I managed to
find and download a zip file for vCOM "Build 226".  Is this the
latest/greatest?  The Build 226 package that I found has no info on
installation, use, etc.  Can anyone help with this?  The site where I found
the Build 226 package included an obscure not about editing a .inf file in
order to update but gave no further info on what to edit.  Is this necessary
when installing from scratch?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree with vCOM
and should be using a completely different package to support rig control?

VAC is also referenced.  Is this required for using N1MM?  I've never
bothered with this - just ran a patch cord from the Flex 5K line out to my
PC's sound card line in.  Is it necessary to buy VAC in order to run N1MM
with PowerSDR?

Thanks for any info...

73,

Mike - ke5akl