Hi Mike and Merry Christmas to you as well.

I am very interested in the noise "eliminator" you described.  I also feel
your observations about the NR in the Flex are  accurate and objective.  It
simply doesn't work in its default setting.  I can't imagine it working by
tweaking anything.  Maybe it's meant for some other mode besides SSB?  I
have never used the feature much on other radios, but I will admit it worked
to some degree.  It certainly never produced the signal degradation like it
does in the Flex.  I hope Flex comes up with a fresh approach in some future
release.   It's almost as though the current NR function was an afterthought
and the code was hastily written.

As to the fire wire mishap, I have an outboard mixer that connects via fire
wire and the manufacturer makes a very big deal about the possibility of
putting it in upside down.  Like so many of the connections we see today,
the fire wire lacks the robustness of connectors of days past.  Personally,
I feel the connector is way too fragile for the cable that it uses.  That of
course is not Flex's design nor its fault.

Sharing your catastrophe may help the rest of us repeat a similar accident.

Thank you.

Jim AB2CD