I have that also, running the last two official psdr versions on two different computers.
Its built into the software it seems.

I was working some guys Sunday, a flex 1000, a 3000 and my 5000.
We were talking about the carrier level adjustment in the AM mode.
On my 5000, 100 equals 25 watts carrier, 100 watts pep like a normal AM signal is, as I reduce the carrier setting, the 100 watts pep stays the same, but the carrier level drops like I would expect it to. I was running mine at 85% to get more audio on the carrier, you cant go to far or boat anchor receivers distort badly.
The guy with the 3000 was running his at 35, the 1000 at 50.
When the guy running the 1000 turned it down the modulation went up, but he runs it at 50 and gets just 100% modulation. He said, when you exceed the normal setting, the modulation wraps around and goes positive introducing lots of distortion. I don't hear it but others can, and he said you can see it clearly with a sine wave on a scope.
His 50% setting seems to equal normal 100% modulation.

I suspect we were all running different psdr versions, the 1000 something old, the 3000 the PB version, I am running 1.18.3. Is the difference the radios, or the software, and the 3000 seems out in left field at 35, which should almost be double sideband if it acts like my radio?

The manual for the 5000 says my radio is acting normal, and that it is ok to adjust the carrier level down to get more modulation. I THOUGHT it was doing it without excessive distortion, but people can hear distortion (they say).

Anyone know how the flex actually does this, does it wrap the excessive negative modulation around and make it positive?

Brett

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan" <outposte...@shaw.ca>