Backup strategies will depend on life style. I used Home Server 2003 for some time, but it had two disadvantages, (a) it tied up a machine, and (b) I found it required as much attention as manual backups. I am often up in the middle of the night, usually accidentally just when I set HS 2003 to back things up. As well, we don't always leave all our machines powered up all night long. I was somewhat relieved when the server died of old age.

I would opt for easily-transportable, bit images of the crucial machines on one's LAN, and since they can be made in the time coffee/tea is brewing, the jump drive solution is my own particular choice. I can't see hopping around in the snow in my bathrobe carrying a desktop, while the fire brigade puts out my home fire. I also use a 1-T USB drive, and I can imagine grabbing it...it carries half a dozen bit image backups made over a couple of weeks or so.

The various programs I have associated with my radio gear are fairly messy to configure, and having a string of backups is useful when one makes a blunder and destroys this tangle. Those backups are the modern analog of the erasers on my pencils.

John Ragle -- W1ZI