Hi All!

Since the majority of messages on the list seem to be problem related I thought I'd make a posting about how much fun I had this weekend with my new F3K ;)

I decided to have a go at the ARRL International CW DX contest over the weekend just gone, it's the first time I've ever had a go at this particular contest. Currently I only have a delta loop for the 40m band erected in the garden so there was no choice when it came to band selection, 40m or 40m, that's was it!

On the run up to the start of the contest I grabbed a few rare DX stations in the Caribbean area who were just warming up which was
great as I bagged a couple of islands that I hadn't worked before.

Then the contest started, I tuned down to the bottom of the 40m band and started trawling upwards working US stations one at a time as I went. I was amazed how many stations there were in such a small amount of space, I had the F3K filter set to 50Hz and used the panafall display.

It was so easy to find each station using the waterfall display and the panadapter (Panafall) to ensure I was smack on frequency, then getting the DX US station normally on the first call using just 100w from the F3K into the full wave delta loop antenna.

With the filtering set at 50Hz I was able to work the US stations even if they were almost on top of each other and grabbing the weaker stations even if they were next door
to a large contesting station was a doddle.

I was able to find and work far more stations per hour than I ever could with my conventional radio, mainly due to the narrower filtering and the fact that PSDR takes the guess work out of finding each station.

Early in the morning when all the neighbours were asleep and TVs were turned off I fired up my trusty Ranger 811H amplifier, this would be the first time I had used the amp and F3K in anger and I am happy to report they worked faultlessly throughout, a perfect combination!

Since I was working more stations per hour than ever before I found I needed more breaks, the old gray cells aren't as lively as they used to be, but it was a most enjoyable experience.

Whilst trawling for stations I used my Schurr Profi II twin paddle for each contact, key in left hand, mouse in right hand, it's handy being ambidextrous! Later on I settled on a frequency and called using the PSDR CWX facility, whilst not as much fun as using my lovely twin paddle I was surprised how easy it was to contest using this mode of operation, I've never used the keyboard for CW before, I'm a bit old school, but once I had the pre-prepared messages saved in the onscreen memory slot I was able to work stations just as quick as when using my twin paddle, but without the wrist fatigue!

I thoroughly enjoyed contesting with the F3K and am really pleased that I went ahead and bought it even though I had some doubt initially, it really is a super CW rig!

Mike.
M0AWS / F5VKM
Read about my F3K exploits on my BLOG at http://www.f5vkm.com