Another good thing to do is download autoruns from the sysinternals site at
Microsoft and look at all of the "crap", especially from adobe, that is
kicked off when you login. Turn off everything from adobe, ati catalyst and
anything else staying in memory and calling home, reboot and see if
everything works normally. If so, rerun autoruns and try turning more
non-Microsoft/Windows stuff.

If you have installed tortoisesvn and are not using it, uninstall it, its
unimaginable the number of entries you will find in autoruns associated with
it (because it is a shell extension).

I turn off the highly graphic mixers that sit in the notification area (I am
slowly learning not to say systray) but almost everything you have sitting
in the notification area that isn't from Microsoft is a small program
continually running, looking for messages from the internet or from you. If
you can live without them, click and see if there is an option to prevent
usage at startup. If not and you don't want the function at all, uninstall
it. Otherwise you can turn it off with autoruns.

73

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
www.abrohamnealsoftware.com