the radio should never get hot running ssb..
a bit more on cw, and very likely more on the high duty cycle modes.. like jt65 or other constant key down full power modes..
the radio has been tested for hours straight at max power output.

The average output power on ssb should only around 30 watts.. the radio should not even be breaking a sweat..

w9Ray

Ed Stallman wrote:
Today talking on 6m SSB and using 100 watts my Flex 5k got hot to the point were the VOX stopped working, wondering what was wrong I used the PTT to find the radio was only doing 35 watts at this time . I will say I was very long winded in the QSO but not so much as if I were working the June VHF contest. I checked the fan and my SWR is 1:2 to 1 .... I could not remember what ALT + key to use to give me the radio Voltage and Temp , would someone please en form me . After today I'm wishing the Temp was on the PSDR consol full time. Is their something I need to check to keep the radio for getting so hot? Is an extra fan needed when using 6m? and yes The vent holes are correct per the pictures on the Flex home page

Thanks Ed