Zero is probably not low enough. try -1 or -2. there is probably overshoot that is not showing up on the meter..

Alpha quotes the max drive levels at 50-55 watts, so the power must be a little higher than you are thinking?

w9Ray

Rod Brink wrote:
Am having problems operating a SDR-1000 in ESSB mode into my new Alpha

8410. The amp frequently faults on voice peaks in spite of a much reduced drive level. I looked at my peak power into the amp using a fast peak-reading wattmeter (LP100A). Most of the time the power peaks are in the 10-15 watt range, but on some words the peaks are much higher, 30-40 watts. I turned up the mic gain to get 0 dB ALC readings and turned down the drive to compensate, thinking that would resolve the problem. It helped but didn't completely do the trick. Next I decreased the ALC attack time to 1 ms. That doesn't help either, nor does changing the ALC Decay and Hang times.

The Alpha fault-detection circuits are very fast acting. I complained to them about it, but to no avail. They seem to think it should be that way.

As a matter of personal preference, am running an earlier version of PSDR (v. 1.12.1). Have any improvements been made to ALC in subsequent versions?

73,
Rod KQ6F