From: Scott Myers [mailto:ac...@ameritech.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:59 AM
To: Tim Ellison; FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: RE: [Flexradio] Harmonics with Ham Radio Deluex (HRD) & DM780

Tim,

You said; "... open the VAC Control panel... It will show the operating
sampling rates of the cables.  If the VAC cable's sampling rate does not
match the same rate as defined in the PowerSDR VAC configuration, then
Windows (7 / Vista) has not allowed the application to change the device's
(VAC) sampling rate."

It's not that simple I am afraid and you CAN'T SEE this inconsistency within
VAC when it is running or otherwise.  VAC WILL show a 48K sampling rate
matching DM780 & PowerSDR's settings even when Windows is choking it down!
At least it does on both my 64 and 32 bit Win 7 systems.  (I haven't checked
my XP laptop, but you indicate it doesn't have this setting adjustment.)  I
had PowerSDR set to 48K and DM780 set to 48K.  With both running, VAC
control panel showed them connected together at 48K.  So they appeared to
all match quite nicely and be running well.  (Running VAC 4.09)  But in
reality, there was a "step-down" and "step-up" midstream through VAC and the
windows drivers due to these Windows audio settings I was unaware of.  This
clear was causing poor data rate conversions, which caused the harmonic
spikes.  You simply can't see that you are being bottlenecked by Windows
"under the hood" when looking into VAC control panel.  That is why I was
stymied for so long.  But once changed, it was beautiful.

So for some reason, VAC doesn't report this little inconsistency.  VAC's
manual does seem to point this out in the more advance setting area of the
manual, which is how I found it.

73,
Scott AC8DE