I do not know of an existing tool or utility that could perform what you want,
but it would be possible to write something utilizing
the Power Management API to detect a running application and switch to a
different Power Scheme (one that has all sleep functions
disabled for example).

I have done a quick search and nothing exists that does that at this time.

Now if you have some programming tendancies...

There is also SetThreadExecutionState which Enables an application to inform
the system that it is in use, thereby preventing the
system from entering sleep or turning off the display while the application is
running.

Here is an example in VB.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2479403/stop-the-screen-saver-and-hibernation-temporarily-in-vb-net

If I get some time this weekend, I will create a little windows form
application that will do this.

Richard A Clafton, W5\G7EIX
'the brITish guy' - rclaf...@riroc.com
RIROC - Hosting -  Development - Technology - www.riroc.com