And no, not that kind of skin.  This is a family reflector.

One of the most apparent improvements in PSDR 2.x is the addition of the
adjustable GUI, aka “skins”.    It’s one thing to have a great radio and
another to have a great radio that looks great.  Skins not only give us
choices in how the radio looks but how we can make it look.  With a little
imagination and some graphic editor skills anything is possible.

I have a 19-inch flat screen dedicated entirely to PSDR.  Another 23-inch
screen holds all the loggers, skimmers, and utilities that I use.  Having a
slick looking radio screen is really a plus and when you get tired of it you
can change it.

I think it would be fantastic if there were a skin-editing tutorial/manual.
I am more than willing to collaborate on this project if someone good at
skins wants to take it on.  I expect that what we are going to see in the
future are collections of “designer” skins that will fit most tastes.   Hell,
maybe somebody will design a skin that emulates a Collins KWM2 – that will
keep all the old-timers happy J (including myself – I never could afford a
KWM2).

To me, the addition of this feature is a win-win.  It would be nice to have
the “classic original” look to the radio as an option even though I think
that look is more representative of a Windows program than a ham radio
transceiver..  Personally, I think the more options to suit everyone’s
taste, the better.  Now THAT’s something you don’t get from a “box” radio.

Having a radio that’s flexible in both performance and appearance is really
nothing new.  In ham radio forty years ago, a large number of our rigs were
hope brew, which is the epitome of personalization.

--
Steve Miller
W6SDM