I've accidentally set the output of HRD/DM780 to be the "Microphone
(FlexRadio Microphone)" device.
The result was blasting loud audio bringing the Flex to its maximum RF
wattage in the 110 watt range!

Heh! I did that too the first night I had mine... and I was listening on another receiver and noticed I was actually producing DSB modulation...

No, you just want to hook up to the Microphone Input Line from Flex, as in Windows vernacular. You never want to send anything directly to the Flex Output port.

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer
Refined Audiometrics Laboratory
4391 N. Camino Ferreo