In preparation for the arrival of a Rb GPSDO here, I have been watching the 100 Hz sideband on 10 MHz WWV all day long, and recording its reported variations -- presumably due to CODEC clocking jitter and drift.

With a sample rate from the Flex3K of 48 kHz, and an effective FFT resolution of around 11 mHz per cell, I have been watching this on SpectrumLab, and find frequency deviations of around 0.2 mHz RMS, and +/- 1 mHz p-p. The fine-scale resolution comes from SpectrumLabs interpolation routines for finding peak frequencies.

Sounds pretty good -- but this implies an accuracy in the CODEC clock of around 0.004 ppm !! (10^-9). Furthermore, I see essentially zero long-term drift at this resolution.

Now, how can this be? The Flex3K, if it used its internal 0.1 ppm clock as the clock for the CODEC, should give about 25x worse than this. And if it isn't using the internal TCXO for the CODEC, then why aren't we using the same superb CODEC clock for driving the whole rig?

Just doesn't make any sense to me...

- de Dave, N7AIG

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer