Around here I also found the Comcast telephone / internet modems particularly bad. And they generate similar 20 dB over noise floor noise, with a repetition every 100 kHz or so.

Keep your antenna as far away from it as possible. The Comcast tech made some measurements, and mostly found it "acceptable" (to whom?!). He did shorten some of the coax lines leading to the junction box, and that may have detuned the coax shields from resonance.

When I researched the modems, I found that they use barely any shielding at all, lots of RF bleeds over the outer shield of the coax and over the RJ45 network connections. I made the network lines into chokes by coiling them. Could probably use some good ferrites over them too. Enclosing the whole thing in a NEMA box would help enormously. I used aluminum foil one night, but the modem will cook itself to death with prolonged use.

But what I found most infuriating, apart from Comcasts cavalier attitude about polluting the RF space, is that the units are made in China (where else?), and they have a fake FCC certification sticker on them. Anything for a buck, eh?

Final solution was to move the antennas as far away as possible from all the Comcast coax lines leading around the outside of the house.

- de Dave, N7AIG

Dr. David McClain
Chief Technical Officer
Refined Audiometrics Laboratory