On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Tony <d...@optonline.net> wrote:

> Brian
>

>  I am running with an SCS PTC-IIpro. Yes, there were some issues,
>> mostly dealt with by reducing the transfer and DSP buffer sizes to
>> 512 or 256. Also make sure that you reduce TX Out Delay to about
>> 10ms.
>>

> I guess the necessity to reduce the buffer size would depend on how fast
> the computer is.

No.

The size of the buffers determines latency no matter how fast your computer
is. It has to do with sampling. If you are doing 48,000 samples-per-second
and you have a transfer buffer that is 2048 samples long, it is going to
take the radio 42.6ms to fill that buffer with samples. Now if that is the
transfer buffer (set in the Setup>Audio>primary page) it means that it is
going to take 42.6 ms before the firewire driver fills a buffer and
transfers it to PowerSDR.

Now you also have the DSP buffers. If they are set for 2048 the DSP is going
to take another 42.6 ms to process that data. We are now up to 85ms in the
receiver (or transmitter) and we haven't done anything yet. Note that these
numbers are cut in half for a 96kHz sample rate.

Now, if you set the buffer sizes to 512 the time in the buffers is reduced
by a factor of 4. So for a 96kHz sample rate and 512 sample buffers, the
time in the buffers is 5.3 ms, a much more suitable delay.

I have no problem running Winmor with the default buffer settings and 10ms
> latency so I guess I can assume my system will handle a TNC in Pactor mode
> with a few adjustments.

You might find that you are on the thin edge of Winmor working. Double check
your buffer size values.

> How did you wire the TNC to the rig Brian? Does the audio run through the
> Flexwire or the RCA connections?

On the 3000 and 5000 I am running audio in/out via the flexwire port with a
separate connection coming out to an RCA plug for PTT.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.