I bought my 1500 to see if SDR was contest-ready. For me, consistency is number
one issue to be resolved. Power (5, 100, 1KW) is secondary as is equipment
including antennas. Paramount is the ability to work lots of Qs quickly and
efficiently with no surprises or equipment failures. The brickwall filtering on
the 1500 and the panoramic display are huge especially for QRP contesting.

Been working hard to understand my 2.7 gig (4 gigs of RAM) Windows 7 HP machine
as it runs Writelog with rig control and CW keyer/memories so that I don't have
two active windows but can do everything from Writelog. This is critical for
contesting especially at 2 am. (Can't get audio yet for CW reader as Writelog
accesses Windows 7 sound card differently from XP but not essential.)

RTTY is the another challenge for the future.

For whatever reason, my system settled down over the weekend with the Flex 1500
taking 30 per cent CPU time (which is ok), and Writelog adding roughly 10 to 15
per cent. If I run packet for the bandmap my CPU use rises to 50 per cent which
is still okay so long as nothing else makes any CPU demands. If so, I get a
brief dropout (wonder if this might be the clicking sound in audio reported by
some folks?). Dreaming about quad-core machines with oodles of ram.

Added a LDG Z-11 autotuner and now can work 160 to 6 meters at 5 eats without
having to do anything else than tune and talk or send. Very cool. Latency not
an issue as almost all CW contesting is done at 22 to 26 WPM. Also I never run
full break-in as it is fatiguing a heck and semi break-in is fast enough for
me. Remember I'm not running and trying to hold a frequency at 5 (or even 100)
watts.

Broke down and swapped some old film camera equipment for a LGD-200-PRo
autotuner and Palomar all-band 100-watt amp for those contests when QRP is way
too masochistic. Also got a Drake 2-B receiver that looks brand new with low
serial number thrown into the deal :) but that's another story for another
reflector.

Anyway bottom-line is looking like the Flex 1500 IS a contest-quality radio and
is a much better receiver than anything else I've run (including Pro III and
Yaseu contest rigs) so far. I'm working out a deal to borrow a K3 for
head-to-head real-world comparison. Also want to see if N1MM is less CPU
demanding. Used it on the CQ WW SSB test and liked it.

Best regards,

Peter - VE3HG
VE3HG Blog
Follow VE3HG On Twitter