Justin,
It depends on what you want to do, of course. I often use a Butternut HF-9V vertical with my Flex, with ground radials. I like it because: It works really well for DX, which is all there is from my Caribbean island It covers most of the bands that the Flex-3000 covers (except 160m and 60m) It's light and easy for me to take down/put up in tropical storms and hurricanes (a problem at my QTH)
  I can use it for scanning modes like ALE without an external tuner
George, PJ5/KJ6VW