Hello everybody,

I had previously posted a video on YouTube of some noise on two meters using
Fraps, which is designed to record video games and uses a monumental amount
of CPU power. It also required me to reconfigure VAC to output sound to the
default recording input, which was annoying as well. I set off in search of
a better solution and have found a freeware program called "Cam Studio" (
www.camstudio.org). Here's a quick synopsis on how to configure it for
recording:

1. Download and install it from the website above. I chose the newest beta
version.
2. Start it up, and from the Region menu select Window.
3. From the Options menu, select Video Options and slide the slider up to
100%.
4. From the Options menu, select Audio Options and from the pop-out select
Audio Options for Microphone, select your VAC output from the list of
capture devices. For format, I chose to use 44.1kHz mono. You probably want
to match this with your VAC output rate.
5. From the Options menu, select Record Audio from Microphone
6. Optional: Options -> Program Options -> Directory for Recording if you
want to select where the files are output to. I output them to my homebrew
NAS so I can easily access them from other computers.
7. Press the red Record button, then click on the PowerSDR window.

Issues I've found in my limited testing:
- Colors are wrong if played with VLC, works fine in Windows Media Player.
I've seen this before but I don't remember how I fixed it.
- Must use MON to record your own audio, which can be annoying if you aren't
using headphones.

Hope you find this interesting.

73s,
Dave K1FSY
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/

Reply via email to