On 12/27/2010 9:21 PM, Paul Delaney - K6HR wrote:
I'm considering purchasing 2m/440 transverters for use with my 5000A.
Can anyone make a recommendation?

Paul Delaney - K6HR
paul.hamra...@verizon.net
http://k6hr.dyndns.org:8080

You could buy a pair of Downeast Microwave transverters. Fully assembled 60W (50W on 432) units will set you back $1188 for the pair. Plus you'll need external switching for the 5000a's transverter IF. Receive performance will be roughly the same as the FlexRadio V/U module, but the frequency stability will not be anywhere near as good, and you'll have two external boxes to provide cabling and desk space for. I own a Downeast transverter and it's ok, but not great.

Another option is the Elecraft 2M and 432 transverters. They only put out 20-25W and have a reputation for drifting all over the place, even with the crystal ovens (this is all hearsay, since I haven't ever owned them). A pair of those with the crystal ovens and high accuracy crystal for 432 will cost about $920.

The V/U upgrade is on sale of $1197 + installation. That sounds like a much better deal than external transverters.

BTW, I opted for the V/U upgrade for my 5000A. I've had it back for a few weeks now and have used it a few times. So far, I'm really happy with it.

73,
Clay  W7CE