Alan,
There's a wire table in the back of the ARRL Handbook, and also on-line, where you can find the right gauge wire to get the voltage drop down to where you want it. You can just cut off the present cable near the connector, and solder-and-tape splice on the new heavier gauge wire. I rarely use remote sensing because it can lead to over-voltage conditions if you break a sense wire and sometimes instability in the power supply too.
George, PJ5/KJ6VW