I just finished some RF testing of my Flex-1500’s millihertz VFO accuracy,
using the following equipment:

*               HP 3325A Signal Generator (millihertz resolution) locked to
a ThunderBolt GPSDO 10MHz reference

*               Flex-1500 with IF= 0 Hz, Spur Reduction = Off, CWU Pitch =
600 Hz, Clock Offset = 0, and locked to the same 10 MHz reference

*               Fldigi used to measure 600± tone via a Virtual Audio Cable.
(Fldigi was set for +74 RX ppm for sound card sample rate correction, which
may have affected these tests?)

I injected 21 frequencies in 1 Hz steps, from 3,557,990 Hz to 3,578,010 Hz
into the Flex-1500 at about – 80 dBm, and incremented the PowerSDR VFO to
match.  I collected data with the fldigi Frequency Analysis tool into a csv
file with sub millihertz resolution.  I removed all of the transient data
between the 1 Hz steps where it takes fldigi 5 or 10 seconds to start
tracking the new frequency.

The VFO RF frequency error was then represented by the audio frequency above
or below the 600 Hz CWU Pitch frequency.  I found a median shift / error of
0.068 Hz, which could, in part, be due to the fldigi sound card correction
factor mentioned above.  So, after subtracting the 0.068 Hz error, the
frequency errors bounced back and forth between ±0.022 Hz as shown in the
graph below.  This ‘organized’ zig-zag pattern is due to the DDS oscillator
chip’s 32 bit binary resolutions never exactly matching the VFO’s integer
dial reading.

[I posted a graph along with this text in the Files section of FMT-Nuts
Yahoo Group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMT-nuts/  ]

So I have some question about how to eliminate the 0.068 Hz median error I
measured:

1.      Since I am using a VAC between PowerSDR and fldigi, does the fldigi
Sound Card Sample Rate Correction (+74 RX ppm) have any affect?
2.      Could there be another (software?) source of the 0.068 Hz median
error?  (I did confirm my signal generator’s accuracy by using a GPSDO
locked counter with sub millihertz resolution)
3.      Should I try adjusting the PowerSDR DDS Clock Offset?  I have found
that it is still active even though I have checked the box that I am using
an external 10 MHz clock reference.
4.      Are there any warm-up frequency drifting affects that aren’t
eliminated by using the GPSDO 10MHz reference and digital (virtual) audio
signal paths?

I plan to use this ‘empirical’ dial correction method to adjust my readings
following the FMT this Wednesday.  It would be better to have a calculation
utility like the Analog Devices DDS Simulator, but not until we know for
sure what the PowerSDR and firmware are really sending to the DDS c hip.

John Stuart, KM6QX

Lafayette, CA