Along with some of the other posters, I was running an XV-144 2 meter transverter for the contest on the weekend. Mine was running with my 5000a, Windows XP SP3, PowerSDR 2.0.16. It ran pretty well, but I had a couple of issues.

The first was that I don't seem to be getting full output out of the flex to drive the transverter. I'm using the split cables on the IF connections, separate transmit and receive. The output was low, but usable for the contest. I wasn't able to fully drive the amplifier and get as much output as I was planning. I checked all the settings and eventually dragged out a spectrum analyzer to see just how much signal was coming out of the transverter port. My understanding is that the nominal power on this port is 1mw=0dbm, with the capability to drive it 3db higher than that with everything set to max. The best I was able to get was -2dbm. That was the max with either voice peaks in USB, or with CW. That was with the drive set to 100 and the XVTR power setting on the XVTR setup page to 100. Is there another adjustment someplace that I am missing? What do I do to get the output up to where it belongs?

The other issue was that the power setting on the XVTR setup page kept changing. I noticed that if I changed to FM-N mode to listen to a repeater, that the drive on the main window stayed all the way to the right of the slider, but the level was now 40 instead of 100. That is probably normal behavior to derate the PA for a 100 percent duty cycle transmission, but I noticed after returning to USB that my power output was even lower. Checking the XVTR setup page would show that despite the drive control now showing 100 (and me sliding the slider all the way to the right again after returning from FM) that the power setting in the setup page would now be 40. It didn't seem to happen every time, but it happened more often than not. Occasionally it would randomly change to some other number, like 68. Is this normal behavior?

And finally a question on band limits. I thought I had read that while the flex limits transmissions out of band on the normal output, that band checking was suspended on the transverter port to facilitate coverage of the larger VHF and UHF bands. Although I'm not sure how well my particular transverter would handle transmissions in the upper 2 mhz of the band (it hears reasonably well) but I tried a couple of test transmissions up there and didn't seem to have any output from the flex, although I don't recall seeing any lockout message like I do on the lower bands. Will the flex transmit from 28-32mhz on the transverter port?

I loved being able to see the activity on the bands with the panadapter. It definitely helped me work more stations that I probably would have missed if I'd just been randomly tuning back and forth. Got good reports on the flex-transverter combination also.

Thanks

Kevin, WB2EMS