On 03/01/11 12:06 pm, Gerald Youngblood wrote:
Dear FLEX-5000 customers,

There has been some discussion today about an ECO that addresses a potential
spur issue on 160m CW on the FLEX-5000.  We have developed a hardware
modification to the 160m transmit filter section in response to a half dozen
customer reports of a spur 2.4 kHz above the CW transmit frequency.

This is only an issue if the station is running "legal limit" power CW on
160m with very large antenna arrays.  In the "legal limit" case the CW spur
would still be only on the order of 6 mW (we have measured approximately -53
to -57 dBc), which might be heard by other similar "big gun" stations with
quiet antennas.  On 160m SSB or AM it is really a non issue.

For new production radios starting around December 2010 with Rev Q or higher
HTRX boards, the modification is installed on all new radios.  We only
install this ECO into existing radios upon specific request because in our
opinion it affects so very few people.

If you fit this operating criteria, we are happy to install the ECO.  The
deal is that you pay for shipping both ways and we will do the mod.  Contact
support at supp...@flexradio.com or 512-535-4713 x210 to request an RMA.
  Please DO NOT send your radio without an RMA.  Please note that turn around
could be up to three weeks for the ECO.

Gerald,

The status update that I (having ordered the VU upgrade) received from Flex in November last included the following points:

" 3. The radio is stripped down to the bare boards so that the necessary modifications can be made for connecting the FLEX-VU5K. 4. The boards are then upgraded with all current ECOs and any necessary repairs are made."

Note: "*all* current ECOs" [emphasis added].

73

Alan NV8A