Tom,
        AH... I didn’t spot the very obvious!
I was listening to myself on another radio (same freq not via a repeater)
using headphones, and did not get the usual howl / feedback if its
overcooked.
I suspect the Mike I am using on the Flex is a lot more sensitive than I
first thought.
I had not considered the software delay and hence the feedback would not
howl as usual, and it would give a delay line effect.

You can see that I am very green when it comes to SDR!
Still, that's the fun of the hobby, there is always something to play with
and now that I have just retired I have dug out the CW key and got the Flex,
to play with. It's a LOT different to what I have been used to, hence I
still think "Hardware" as opposed to a mix of Hard and Software. I haven’t
done much QRP either, and from what I have read the Flex radio is going to
be good for this as well.

The shacks in a Mess as I am fitting a new Earth Bus Bar due to having read
that the Flex like a good earth. So I will test your suggestion later on,
and I suspect that it's the answer. I just hadn’t considered it!

Much appreciated for the help. I will post up if that was the problem.

Best Regards
Geoff
G0DDX