I too have been experimenting with NR.

I have decided that there is no silver bullet for NR or NB for that matter.

We all have different noise floors and noise content and each day can be
different. In my location when a nearby well water pump starts running, the
noise floor jumps1 or 2 db and I see spikes that were not present before.
Switching to another band it may less or even worse. I also see differences
as band propagation conditions changes.

I just do not see how single software settings can handle it all. So I tweak
the Taps, but mostly I adjust the Delay numbers (down to as low as 15 works
great for me) and keep notes on which numbers worked best at that time.

Ted, WB2LOU

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM, John Swink <jms...@wowway.com> wrote:

> I have been experimenting with the  NR & ANF filters in PSDR 2.0.22 on my
> Flex 5000A with i7 CPU and 64 bit Win 7.
>

> Version 2 of the F5K manual suggests that the AGC-T be optimized before
> adjusting any of the controls for the NR & ANF filters.   That seems to be
> particularly true with the NR filter.  When the S/N ratio has been
> optimized
> the NR filter actually does effectively reduce the noise but it also
> attenuates the signal.  Adjusting the filter controls (Taps, Delay & Gain)
> as described in the manual can affect the filter performance as band
> conditions change.
>

> Unfortunately, the manual does not refer at all to the "Leak" control and
> adjusting that did not seem to have much effect on the filter.  Perhaps
> someone can explain its function and how to adjust it?
>

> I did not experience any of the crackling conditions that others have
> reported, except when the NR & ANF filters were activated simultaneously.
> Then a low level crackling could be heard.  Perhaps this is an interaction
> of the two filters and could be minimized with tweaking of the filter
> controls.
>

> The NR & ANF filters were virtually worthless in previous versions of PSDR
> but have been significantly improved in v2.0.22.  Hats off to the Flex team
> for these improvements.
>

> 73,
>
> John, N8WNA

You cannot change history, but you can make history!
Education is the only legal cure for stupidity.