Dave - thanks for doing the experiment!  I tried it again (FMN on
29.610) and afterwards everything still worked fine.  Must have been
that geomagnetic storm.....

The release notes just say "FMN mode incorrectly handles audio
pre-emphasis and de-emphasis of signals."  I'm not sure what
"incorrectly handles" means, but I assume that it must work well enough
to be usable, since you're using it.  Did you set up some EQ profiles
for FMN that compensate as a workaround?

This did teach me to export the database after I get everything set up,
so I have something to reload from next time!

73,
/Jack de K3FIV