AMEN!

Fm KA4SNM

-----Original Message-----
From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of William H. Fite
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:47 PM
To: K0DAN
Cc: FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz; Jeff Singer
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] FMT Results

Like a lot of other material in this general area, things have been written,
on Connie's site and others, that are easily understood by people who
already understand them.  In >30 years of teaching graduate students and
directing their research, I have found this an extremely common phenomenon.

 "It seems perfectly clear to me, Dr. Fite."
"Well, of course it does.  You wrote it."

The more education and experience one has, the more difficult it becomes to
recall what parts of the early stages were hard to grasp and why.  But the
responsibility for clear communication resides, by definition, with the
transmitter, not with the receiver, a point lost on too many otherwise
friendly and eager-to-be-helpful experts.

If more people are to become involved in FMTs, experienced FMT-ers are going
to have to write, "OK, now here is what you do first.  Then do this.  Then
this.  Then this."  Instead, volunteers, with every intention of being
helpful and with every conviction that they are providing clear and
straightforward instructions produce something reminiscent of Chief Bellison
explaining an equipment failure to Captain De Vriess in* The Caine Mutiny*:

*"The port bandersnatch got fouled in the starboard rath when we tried to
galumph the cutting cable so as not to trip the snozzle again.  I had to
unshackle the doppelganger and bend on two snarks instead so we could launch
in a hurry."*

Entertaining...but not helpful.