Forgot to mention that while switching back and forth that the receiver
goes dead and you will have to close out the PSDR and restart it to get
it back up and working.
Ed
WA3BAT
On 5/8/2011 12:14 PM, Ed White wrote:
Hi Gang:
Well the reason for the change back to external transverter is that
the power control is not liner. I only need 13 watts to drive my amp
to 1500Watts If I go up to 15 watts I will have 2000 watts and above
that the "N" connectors will short or blow up.
When I first got the V/U unit installed I connector it up and used a
T/R relay coming out of the back of the 5000A to split transmit and
receive. relay energized gives me receive line active so the entire
system is fail safe to transmit if I loose 12 DC power.
The receiver works well and can see the LNA at the tower.
When I put the 5000A into transmit the wattage was 500 watts I slowly
increased it to about 1400 watts no problem than I was ready for JT
mode When it went into transmit mode things went south quickly and I
blew up a "N" connector and shorted another "N" connector which took
out 3 diodes in the HV PS in the GU78b amp. At this time I was using
2.0.16 for the 5000A V/U.
I learned that others were having problems with low power Which I also
have can not get the full wattage out of the 5000A. (no problem for me
as I only need 13 watts). I also learned that the control for the
power was not liner on the 144 and 432 MHz V/U.
What I beleave happen was the power output spiked when it went into
transmit and fed the GU78b more than 13 watts which put out better
than 2500 watts maybe even up to 4000 watts from the GU78b.
This of course will not have any problems where you have to run the
5000A into a 8877 tube which need a lot more power to drive it. Low
power devices could be a problem.
So what am I trying to do now is run the 5000A into the transverter
XV-144 which I had been using to drive the GU78b before using 2.0.22.
And it will not work?
What happens is I have set up the transverter to work in the third
slot (first slot V/U 144 MHz second slot 432 MHz)
settings as follows:
Enabled checked
UCB 2
Button tex 2n XV
L.O. Offset116.0
L.O. Error 0.500( will adjust when I get this working)
Begin fq. 144.000000
End Fq. 148.000000
RX Gain 0.0
RX only no check
Power 87
Split RF not checked
Input to XV-144 on flex top BNC XV Com
What happens is when I choose 2m XV and put the antenna into the
xv-144 I get nothing But when it is connected to the 144 MHZ BNC on
the 5000A I get receive. and it also will receive when in 144 MHz BNC
when I check 2 Meter V/U. So the rig will not allow me to use a
external 144 MHz transverter.
Now worst case is that Flex is still working on the HF problems and
will not address the V/u till 2.1 comes out. which leaves me with a
rig I can not use till then and I can not go back to a 1.x.x because
of the V/U unit connections in the antenna back panel.
I am sure that those running the 5000A at full or almost full out
power into a tube amp that requires high power to run it have enjoyed
the rig a lot.
So that is my problem and any help will be great.
Ed
WA3BZT
EME the thrill of hard to work DX
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/ Homepage:
http://www.flexradio.com/
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/